Wednesday 31 March 2010

Sandwich Tern

My regular ride into work this morning took me along the north shore of Gunwade Lake where a migrant party of about 20 Meadow Pipits were leaping about restlessly. I was just moving off from there when I heard a distant call that sounded like a tern. I scanned the lake again looking for a possible early Common Tern but then heard the call again, this time unmistakably from a Sandwich Tern. I soon saw there were two birds flying over the lake getting some hassle from the local Black-headed Gulls; had they just arrived?

I just had time to make a couple of phone calls and get the scope set up when they headed off high to the north over Milton Park never to be seen again.

Only my third encounter with the species in the area I think. A true rarity.

102 Sandwich Tern

Afterwards, on my way through the reserve, I got my first Willow Warbler of the year sinigng.

103 Willow Warbler

No comments:

Post a Comment