Monday 29 March 2010

Brambling

Things have been getting a bit frustrating. Stuck on 99 with any number of possible additions being seen by others (Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers, Egyptian Geese, Curlew, Water Pipit and even a mythical Raven) I just don't seem to be able to connect with anything. The Egyptian Geese keep vanishing whenever I'm at Ferry Meadows, and, despite several attempts, Lesser Spots remain off the list. Even the trickle of early migrants like Swallow, Yellow Wagtail and Willow Warbler have avoided me.

However, this lunchtime I did the circuit out to the High Wash and, at the limit of my journey along the green wheel on the northern edge of King's Dyke NR, I heard an unfamiliar call. There were quite a few Chaffinches and Goldfinches by the track, then I noticed the Brambing up in one of the trees. Just then it flew off past me and kept flying west. Frustratingly brief views but a tick nonetheless and the century up at last.

100 Brambling

No comments:

Post a Comment