Wednesday 22 July 2009

Mediterranean Gull

Well, what a day! Got off early on the bike but just as I was starting to pick up speed down Greenhill towards Bullock Road a young rabbit darted out from nowhere straight into the front wheel. I didn't even have chance to brake and found my self lying painfully on the edge of the old road in a mixture of mud and bramble.

Checking for damage I didn't seem to be too bad and the bike was OK but everything was a bit of a mess so I decided to head home and get cleaned up. Just behind me lay the body of the rabbit; it had been killed outright! One bonus anyway, that went in the pannier and will provide a nice meal.

On getting home I found that my camera had taken a hit to the zoom button and battery compartment and wouldn't start up. Bollocks! The A640 has been a brilliant camera and you can't get them for love nor money now. I checked and couldn't find one second hand.

Managed to patch myself up and bike into work on time so at lunchtime headed into town to find a replacement. I liked the sound of the A2100, which has the same close focus ability as the A640 (1cm) and very little vignetting with the scope. A bit of an impulse buy but thought I'd try it out.

Turns out not to be as configurable as the A640 and the lens is no where near as sharp, as the shots below will testify but it will do for the time being.

On the way home from work I checked out the hides at Ferry Meadows and was delighted to find this juvenile Mediterranean Gull with a small party of Black-headed Gulls on the reserve. An ideal opportunity to try out the digiscoping abilities of the new camera.

138 Mediterranean Gull

Mediterranean Gull Larus melanocephalus, juvenile

Digiscoped with Canon A2100 and Leica APO77 x20

No comments:

Post a Comment