Monday 20 July 2009

Garganey

Earier in the year I made a few rides out to the Nene Washes, most notably to get Cattle Egret, but failed to find any Garganey, despite seeing them while driving out that way. Today I decided to check out if there was any water on the High Wash, which often has waders at this time of the year. On the way I discovered quite a bit of water on Stanground Wash and this was attracting a few birds, including ducks, gulls, terns and a few Lapwing.

So I stopped and deployed the scope to check it out. I soon came across a Shoveler and then picked out a Wigeon. I couldn't find any waders other than the Lapwings (but the potential was there) then noticed a smaller duck slip into the water and start feeding. Although a bit distant this was clearly a Garganey and a very welcome addition to the list.

I'll have to make some more lunchtime trips out to here while these conditions persist. Wood Sandpiper should be a possibility.

137 Garganey

No comments:

Post a Comment