Wednesday 13 May 2009

Terns galore

I'm going to give up looking at weather forecasts. Today it was supposed to be chucking it down by the afternoon but there have only been a few showers. As a result I decided to leave the bike at home and try to find a few birds by car. There was barely anything of note at Maxey though, despite many terns and waders dropping in all over the region.

Then news came through of Black Terns and two Little Terns at Ferry Meadows. Well my only option was to wait until after work and cycle there from home. A tense afternoon ended and I drove home via Fletton Lake, picking up nine Black Terns there on the way as a bonus.

I hurtled to Ferry Meadows into the brisk easterly in 23 minutes and the sight of two Little Terns fluttering over Gunwade Lake was magical. The three Black Terns on Gunwade kept to the SW end but another seven were on Overton along with a fair few Common Terns. I couldn't see any Arctic Terns there at all.

130 Little Tern

No comments:

Post a Comment