Tuesday 21 April 2009

Wheatear and Tawny Owl

Biked to and from work via Ferry Meadows today bumping into those other biking birders Don and Mike. Didn't see anything new but a Black-tailed Godwit feeding on the reserve was nice.

At lunchtime I took a ride out to Farcet Fen but couldn't find any Corn Buntings or Grey Partridges along Conquest Drove. Then I noticed what I thought was a Mistle Thrush on the ground in the distance. As soon as it moved I realised the slight miscalculation of scale as it was a smart male Wheatear just on the edge of Farcet village.

113 Wheatear

I was on my own for a while in the evening so took a short ride via Elton Bridge at dusk. Mammals were out in force near Ranger Pigs with a young female Roe Deer, a small party of Fallow Deer, a Fox and some bats. Then on the way back two Tawny Owls were calling to each other and flying around by the bridge and one showed very well in the failing light. I've been surprised not to hear anything from the house so far this year and with the Old Sewage Works bird now left this was a year tick.

114 Tawny Owl

Covered 61km today and racked up 63 species.

No comments:

Post a Comment