Friday 9 September 2011

Manx Shearwater

What an extraordinary morning. I'd checked Orton BP and Beeby's #3 and was just approaching #1 pit when Steve rang to say he had a Sabine's Gull on Crown Lakes. I was there like a shot but it still wasn't quick enough for this bird that has eluded me once before by minutes. It must have flown second before I arrived and further searching was unsuccessful. While scanning passing gulls I did pick up a flyover Ruff though which I was surprised to discover was new for the year.

146 Ruff

I then headed on to work stopping briefly at CEGB to check some gulls there. I couldn't believe when I saw a Manx Shearwater circling just to the south. It drifted off south but wasn't picked up by anyone else. A bizarre encounter.

147 Manx Shearwater

No comments:

Post a Comment