Tuesday 21 April 2009

Corn Bunting at last

It's depressing how difficult it is to catch up with Corn Buntings in this area now. I've taken a long ride out into Newborough Fen earlier this year and tried Farcet Fen yesterday without any joy. However this morning I was talking to the Toadsnatcher, that doyen of fenland birding, and he reminded me about King's Delph. This is an excellent area of fenland just north of Blackbush (which is probably the best of all but a bit further away) and I realised that this would probably be in lunchtime range. So I headed off that way and was in the habitat within 20 minutes. Only a few minutes later I had 2 Yellow Wagtails on a wire calling away and moment after that a Corn Bunting started singing nearby.

I also flushed a Snipe out of a ditch here and had two more smart Wheatears on the fields. Excellent stuff!

117 Yellow Wagtail
118 Corn Bunting

No comments:

Post a Comment